Friday, April 4, 2008

Frank Gohlke responds to our project


Hey all,
Almost two months ago I wrote Frank Gohlke to ask permission to print all or a portion of his essay in conjunction with our book project. I finally got a response this morning - he was totally lovely and looks forward to seeing the work you make.
Also looking forward,
Deirdre

Dear Ms. Visser,

One of my computers is down, so I don't know if I responded to your message of Feb. 11. As you can imagine, it's very gratifying to learn that something one has done has found its way to
people to whom it is useful. Thank you for letting me know. It's a reminder to me of what the whole enterprise is about, of what makes an artist's absorption in his or her personal obsessions more than just self-indulgence. It really matters to any of us when we encounter thoughts that echo or clarify intimations we ourselves have had about our common experience; it reassures us that we're not as alone as we sometimes feel.

Please feel free to use the essay in your publication in whatever way is best for your purposes. I'm quite curious to see the results of the project. I hope you will consider sending me a copy of the book when it is finished. My address is: 3041 N. Gaia Pl., Tucson, AZ 85745.

Thanks again,

Frank Gohlke

No comments: